Thursday, April 17, 2008

Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

A few months ago I heard of Freebird Books, a small book store in Brooklyn. what makes them special is there monthly reading group, where they discuss a book and watch a movie, always focused on post-apocalyptic literature and movies. I have yet to attend a meeting, but always check out what they're reading and watching, as this interests me quite a bit.

It all started with Fallout, a post-nuclear roleplaying game (RPG). I miss those days, when RPGs were more engrossing, though Fallout 3 is set to come out late this year or in early 2009.


That being said, it's movies that seem to be on my mind now. Of course, I've watched and enjoyed movies like Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. The ones that interest me more, however, focus on life after the bomb... Think of Mad Max, though others that come up as my favourites include On the Beach, The Day After, and A Boy and His Dog. A more recent example is Right at Your Door, though it focuses on the use of a dirty bomb rather than nuclear war. There's something to be said about watching hypothetical reactions to such things.

No comments: