Friday, May 23, 2008

Indiana Jones...

Warning: if you haven't seen it and want to avoid spoilers, don't read this post.

I've been meaning to write a quick post about Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for a few days now, as I had a chance to see a pre-release screening on Tuesday night.

... And wow, was I ever disappointed! The movie starts off in 1957 and even features a nuclear explosion. This got me all excited, as I saw my love for the Fallout franchise blend with Indiana Jones into an amazing movie that had everything I could ever want. But then the aliens appeared... First a brief mention of extraterrestrials, which made me uncomfortable but I forgave the movie. "Must be a slight slip-up, nothing serious," I thought.

Then we saw the alien skulls... And then we saw the aliens come to life... And finally, we saw the spaceship leave Earth! The cool 1950's atmosphere was long-gone by then, as was any real reference to the old Indiana Jones trilogy.

If that wasn't bad enough, there's tons of plot holes, too, it seems. Sitting at home and reflecting (weeping) about the state of the movie, I thought back to the beginning, where the FBI decided to investigate Indiana Jones for colluding with Russians -- they even harass him in an interview room. And then we never hear about them again.

The Globe and Mail has a good negative review on the movie.

No comments: