Thursday, February 7, 2008

Kindle, Forgive Me

I had dinner with a few friends who work in social computing, and the star of the dinner party was Amazon's Kindle. I haven't really been interested in e-books or readers and when this initially came out, I thought it was pointless and a waste of money.

How semi-wrong I was... It feels great, and the electronic ink technology it uses is easy on the eyes. This is the most comfortable piece of technology I've held and used in a long time. While it won't get me away from regular books, I can see how those who travel a lot or like to carry obscene amounts of information on them could use this... Especially in areas without Internet access. Check it: will definitely bring one with me if I ever go on a month-long sabbatical to the middle of nowhere, now all I need is a power source (oh wait, maybe not -- thanks Rawi).

And on a side note, my favourite target customer for the Kindle:

2 comments:

Sacha Chua said...

Looking forward to trying that out in Canada. =) Someday...

Wojciech said...

Oh wow, I didn't realize it's not available outside of the US! Bummer... Now I have a few issues with Canada: no Kindle, and no unlimited data plans for phones. :(

Such is life, I guess. :)